- Plan your tour in advance
- Pay attention to the possibility of crossing with motorized vehicles on public signposted paths
- Advisable use of GPS and helmet
- SOS Emergency: 112
- Aldeias do Xisto: (+351) 275 647 700 | (+351) 960 101 873
Tips and hints
Clássica Aldeias do Xisto has been held since 2017 and is one of the races integrated in the Cyclin' Portugal project, which promotes the Aldeias do Xisto as the country’s first destination of excellence to host various types of cycling, combining quality infrastructures, competitive and leisure events and programmes and tourist services especially aimed at this public.
Along this route, you will come face-to-face with breathtaking landscapes and Aldeias do Xisto full of stories and traditions to be experienced:
- Álvaro is one of the "aldeias brancas" [white villages] in the Aldeias do Xisto Network. Take the religious tour of the village, with a mandatory stop at the Mother Church. Behold the Zêzere River Valley, from one of the benches of the churchyard, and traverse the Cabril Dam Reservoir by canoe or pedal boat;
- In Janeiro de Baixo, follow the embrace of the river Zêzere towards the village and visit the trunk where horse shoes used to be fitted. Enjoy the river beach and its extensive sandbanks nestled between the mountains;
- In Janeiro de Cima, wander through the village's labyrinth of streets. Enjoy the river Zêzere from the Lavandeiras Park, take a trip on the traditional barges and find out the meaning of the "Ó da Barca!” call. Discover the pieces produced by the looms at Casa das Tecedeiras and sample the gastronomic delicacies at Fiado Restaurante;
- In Fajão, visit the Monsenhor Nunes Pereira Museum, pop over to Sr.ª da Guia and climb the Penedos de Fajão. If you visit Fajão in the summer, don't forget to take a dip in the village swimming pool, and stop by the Aldeias do Xisto Shop;
- Vila Cova de Alva is the Aldeia do Xisto with the most monuments. One by one, enjoy the houses with Manueline features on the "16th century" street. Visit the Mother Church and the church at the Santo António Convent. Enjoy the cheese and smoked sausages and the fresh river Alva;
- In Aldeia das Dez, admire the Mother Church’s interior, and enjoy the work of the old wood carvers, the views offered by the viewpoints around the village and the impressive architecture of the unfinished Casa da Obra. Enjoy the refined menu at the João Brandão restaurant. Do not leave without tasting the cavacas and the coscoréis traditional sweets.